Easiest Way To Move WordPress Site To A New Domain Without Losing Traffic: – Changing the domain address of a wordpress site is a big decision of any blogger. There could be many reasons behind changing domain address of a wordpress site. If you want to rebrand your site or if your domain has been ‘banned by Google AdSense’ then you need move your whole wordpress site to a new domain. In this post I am gonna tell you the easiest way to ‘move your wordpress site to a new domain‘ without losing organic traffic from search engines like Google, Bing, yahoo, ask, yandex etc.
There are following points which I am going to cover in this post which is the easiest way to move wordpress site to a new domain.
- Of course first one is how to move wordpress site to a new domain.
- Copy your WordPress site to a new domain without any plugin.
- How to move a WordPress site from old domain to new domain.
- Move wordpress site to a new domain on same server or another.
- Change domain address of a WordPress site without losing traffic.
- Setup 301 redirection while moving your WordPress site to a new domain.
- how to Move whole wordpress content from one domain to another new domain.
There could be the following reasons to move your wordpress site to new domain:
- If you’ve got a new domain with high authority than your present domain then you should “move your old domain to a new domain”. So that you can reach your traffic goals even faster than before.
- If your “domain has banned by Google Adsense“ then you must move your old domain to a new domain with 301 redirection.
- Sometimes you need to “move your old domain to new domain” when you have to rebrand your site and domain name.
Take a backup of your WordPress: This is the safest method of moving a wordpress site to a new domain so basically you don’t need to take a backup. But I won’t recommend it so you can use a plugin All-In-One WP Migration to take full backup of your wordpress. You can take backup from your hosting cpanel also.
Your hosting plan: You must have a hosting plan with 2 or more domains support to complete this tutorial. Because you have to install a wordpress with your new domain first. We will copy all the contents, post, pages, tags, categories, comments, custom fields from your old wordpress site to new wordpress site which you have installed earlier.
You don’t have to delete your old wordpress installation after copying all contents to your new wordpress with new domain. You have to setup 301 redirect from your old domain to your new domain later.
Temporary traffic loss: Yeah! this is post about how to move wordpress site to a new domain without losing traffic. But your current traffic will affect definitely, it happens with all the site who moves to another domain. Don’t worry you will loose only 50% of your current traffic for temporary and you will regain it again within 1-2 months. It depend on your posting schedule, if you will post regularly then you will gonna recover your traffic soon.
How To Move WordPress Site To A New Domain Without Losing Google Traffic
There are some steps for moving a wordpress site to a new domain without losing current organic traffic from search engines. Follow my words and you will be able to “move your wordpress site to a new domain” very easily.
- Create a new WordPress site to which you want to move your old domain.
- Now delete all the sample post and pages from your new wordpress site.
- Deactivate and delete all plugins from your new wordpress blog.
- Now open your old WordPress admin dashboard.
- Go to tools and click on export.
- Choose all content in what to export and click on download export file.
- Now open your New WordPress admin dashboard.
- Go to tools and click on import.
- Scroll down to WordPress then install it and click on run importer.
- Now choose exported file of your old wordpress site and hit on upload file and import.
- That’s it! Now you have successfully copied all of your posts, images, tags, categories, custom fields from your old WordPress site to your new WordPress site with new domain.
Setup 301 Redirection from old domain to your new domain
Now you have to setup 301 redirection from your old domain to your new domain. 301 redirection is very important part of changing domain address, this will help you to prevent your site’s traffic loss. Whenever someone opens your old posts or pages, they will be automatically redirected to your new site.
To setup 301 redirect you need to access .htaccess file of your old wordpress site. You can edit your wordpress .htaccess file from wordpress dashboard or hosting cpanel also. All you have to do is paste this code in the top of the .htaccess file.
#Options +FollowSymLinks RewriteEngine on RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://howtoways.com/$1 [R=301,L]
Note: Replace howtoways.com with your domain in the above code.
After setting 301 redirection try to open your old Site’s URL it should be automatically redirect to your new site. If it doesn’t redirect then anything wrong you’ve done and redirection is not working properly.
Let the Google know that you are moving your site to a new domain
Now you have to set up change of address tool in Google Search Console. So that Google can know that you are moving your site to another domain. Follow my steps to setup change of address in Google search console.
- First login to your webmaster tools account(Google search console).
- Click on add a property and add your new domain address.
- Verify your ownership for your new domain, using any given methods.
- Once you have validated the ownership of the new domain, now select your old domain in Google search console.
- Now click on right side of gear icon and select the change of address.
- You have to go through 4 steps here, complete all these steps and hit that submit button.
- You’re all done! “Now your request for a site move has succeded“.
You can check in screenshots how I have moved techalike.com to rootsamsunggalaxy.com. Try to open techalike.com, it will be automatically redirect to rootsamsunggalaxy.com.
- How to force stop all android apps in one click no root required.
- How to send scheduled text messages on android phone.
How to move wordpress site to a new domain – Summary
- Install new WordPress with your new domain.
- Delete all the sample posts and pages.
- Deactivate and delete all plugins.
- Now Login to your Old WordPress site and go to tools.
- Choose all content and download export file.
- Now Open your new WordPress site and go to tools.
- Click on import and scroll down to WordPress then install it and run importer.
- Here upload that earlier exported file of your old WordPress site.
- Now you have successfully copied all of your posts, images, tags, categories, custom fields from your old WordPress site to your new domain.
- Setup 301 redirect: copy that given code and paste it in .htaccess file at the top.
- Setup change of address in Webmaster tools (Google search console).
- You’re all done!
After moving your old WordPress site to a new domain your organic traffic will gonna affect for temporary. It happens with all sites after changing their domain address. keep patience and do your work, you will recover your traffic very soon.
You can notify your users that you are moving your WordPress site to a new domain name. For this you can write a post or you can share it on social media too.
The post was about moving a WordPress site to a new domain without losing SEO. I have tried to cover every single topic about how you can move your old wordpress site to a new domain. If you liked it please do a favor share it on your Facebook, Twitter, Google plus or any other social media. If you are facing any problem about moving your site to a new domain address please feel free to comment down.