How to edit wordpress .htaccess file from hosting Cpanel: If you are currently unable to login in your wordpress dashboard, or facing 500 internal server error. There is 90% possibility that you were editing your .htaccess file from your wordpress dashboard. In this situation you can only fix your wordpress .htaccess file by editing it from cpanel. Editing .htaccess file from wordpress dashboard is little risky with .htaccess editor plugins. If you will implement any wrong code then you might face 500 internal server error and your site might crush. So first you should take a backup of your existing .htaccess file before editing it. If you have a backup of your wordpress .htaccess file then you can upload it through your hosting cpanel also.
[h]What is WordPress .Htaccess File? Why You Need To Edit It?[/h]
.Htaccess file is a configuration file which is located in root of your WordPress installation. This file is generally used to override the settings of WordPress like 301 redirection, ban IP address etc. You can do following things through your WordPress .htaccess file:
- You can add 301 redirection of your website from one URL to another URL by editing WordPress .htaccess file.
- WordPress .htaccess file plays very important role, whenever you’re gonna migrate your site from Blogger to WordPress.
- You need to edit your WordPress .htaccess file when you have to migrate your whole site to another domain.
- By editing .htaccess file of WordPress you can optimize your website with GZip compression.
- You can Block any ip address through .htaccess file.
- We can stop image hotlinking by editing .htaccess file.
- You can override your default settings through wordpress .htaccess file.
- How to force stop all android apps in one click without root
- Learn how to Send automatic text messages on android phone
- How to Fix wordpress port 80 443 http error
[h]How To Edit WordPress .Htaccess File[/h]
There are many different ways to edit wordpress .htaccess file and here we will look three ways to edit WordPress .htaccess file:
- Edit .htaccess file from cpanel.
- You can edit .htaccess file from WordPress Dashboard.
- edit .htaccess file using a desktop FTP client.
How To Edit WordPress .htaccess File From Hosting Cpanel
At first take a backup of your default WordPress .htaccess file before editing it. You can edit your wordpress .htaccess file from your WordPress admin dashboard also. But if you have already crush your site with problem 500 internal server error due to editing .htaccess file from wordpress dashboard then you need to edit that wordpress .htaccess file from your hosting cpanel. Follow these given steps to edit wordpress .htaccess file from cpanel of your hosting provider (Bluehost, Hostgator, Bigrock, Godaddy, Siteground, etc).
- Login to your cpanel.
- In Files section, open File Manager.
- Go to settings and select your website in document root for.
- Check Show Hidden Files (dotfiles) and click on save.
- If you still can’t see .htaccess file then click on public_html
- Now you can properly see your wordpress .htaccess file, select that file and click on edit.
- You can take a backup of your wordpress .htaccess file from here before editing it, just edit that file and save.
- That’s it!
You can watch this video to know how to edit wordpress .htaccess file from hosting cpanel.
How To Edit WordPress .htaccess File From WordPress Dashboard (Wp-admin)
Editing wordpress .htaccess file from wordpress dashboard is the easiest method. From here you don’t need to know password of your hosting cpanel. You can edit your .htaccess file directly with help of Yoast SEO plugin. Yoast SEO is the most popular SEO plugin. This is a free wordpress SEO plugin which allows you to edit wordpress .htaccess file and robots.txt also.
In free version of Yoast SEO plugin you can use all the essential features including .htaccess editor. But if you want to download its premium version, download link is given below.
[junkie-button url=”https://topbestbuzz.com/yoast-seo-premium-free-download/” style=”purple” size=”medium” type=”round” target=”_blank”] Free Download Yoast SEO Premium [/junkie-button]
- Install and activate Yoast SEO plugin.
- Go to Menu > dashboard of yoast seo plugin and enable advanced setting pages.
- Now you can see some new features in your yoast seo plugin including Tools.
- Go to tools and click on file editor.
- In file editor you can see robots.txt and .htaccess file, from here you can edit it.
You can edit your wordpress .htaccess file with wp htaccess plugin also. To access .htaccess file with wp htacces plugin go to menu > htaccess.
Watch this video to edit wordpress .htaccess file via wordpress admin panel.
How To Edit .Htaccess File From FTP Client – FileZilla
FileZilla is a best free FTP client which is available for multiple platform. You can access your files including .htaccess directly with FileZilla. To access FileZilla you need hostname, username and password, you can reset it from your hosting cpanel.
You have to navigate to the server on the main menu and ensure the Force Showing Hidden Files option is checked.
FileZilla Menu Options > Select Server > Force showing hidden files.
[junkie-button url=”https://filezilla-project.org/index.php” style=”purple” size=”medium” type=”round” target=”_blank”] Download FTP Client FileZilla [/junkie-button]
If you are beginner and don’t know how to use FileZilla software then first watch this video:
Before editing wordpress .htaccess file please take a backup for precaution only.
So the post was about how to edit wordpress .htaccess file from hosting cpanel. I’ve tried to cover every single point about editing wordpress .htaccess file. Hope your research end here about how to edit wordpress.htaccess file. If you have any query about 500 internal server error and editing wordpress .htaccess file then feel free to comment below. I would love to reply, not immediately but definitely.